Abt Associates Project Assistant / Entomology Field Coordinator - VectorLink Zambia in Zambia
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Entomology Field Coordinator to support the VectorLink project in Zambia. Under the supervision of the Technical Director - Senior Entomologist, the Entomology Field Coordinator will be responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work and will assist the Entomology Insectary Technicians with managing the insectary.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Support implementation of the following set of entomological field activities:
Establishment of sentinel sites
- Monitor vector density and behavior pre- and post-deployment of vector control interventions using World Health Organization (WHO) standard mosquito sampling methods
- Conduct wall bioassays within two weeks after every spray cycle and on new insecticide treated mosquito nets (ITNs) before distribution to evaluate the quality spray and products
- Conduct wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of sprayed insecticides and bi-annually to evaluate insecticidal activity of ITNs
- Monitor vector susceptibility tests to currently use and candidate insecticides on annual basis. Conduct intensity and synergist assays in sentinel sites selected for insecticide resistance monitoring
- Participate in other field activities as required
- Assist with procurement requests related to the field entomological activities
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures for these activities
- Support, when required, the Entomology Insectary Technicians in managing the insectary operations
- Ensure proper and timely data recording and entry
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Technical Director-Senior Entomologist
- This position may require frequent visits to the field and sentinel sites for mosquito collection
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
Bachelors Degree in Entomology, Biology, or other relevant field
At least two (2) years experience in entomological, laboratory, or veterinary work
- Knowledge in computer skills (able to run programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.)
- Knowledge of English
- Experience with laboratory animal rearing is an added advantage
- High school (AS or BA desirable) and 3+ years of experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.