Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Component 3 & 4 Lead - SFHA Vietnam in United States
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates will implement the Sustainable Financing for HIV Activity (SFHA) in Vietnam, a two- year program funded by USAID/PEPFAR to support Vietnam’s transition from an HIV response primarily funded by international donors to one funded and operated by the Government of Vietnam (GVN) through public health facilities and the social health insurance (SHI) scheme. Abt Associates currently seeks a qualified Component 3 & 4 Lead to support the SFHA project in Vietnam.
Under USAID’s Health Finance and Governance (HFG) project, Abt Associates partnered with USAID/Vietnam and key agencies of the Government of Vietnam (GVN) to achieve significant progress in the financing transition of the HIV response. SFHA will now assist GVN to complete the transition to a domestically-funded HIV program able to exceed the United Nations’ 90‑90-90 targets – 90% of people living with HIV (PLHIV) tested, 90% on anti-retroviral treatment (ART), and 90% virally suppressed – thereby achieving epidemic control. SFHA’s work also aligns with and furthers PEPFAR’s refocus on intensive case finding and ART initiation in two regions (11 provinces) with Social Health Insurance (SHI) as the financing backbone.
The Component 3 & 4 Lead will help Abt deliver a program of targeted, innovative, evidence-based, and results-driven technical assistance (TA) to help GVN address the remaining barriers to sustainable, domestic financing capable of supporting the country’s HIV response to achieve – and more importantly sustain – epidemic control. Specifically, the Component 3 & 4 Lead will help in increasing SHI coverage of HIV prevention services – HIV prevention services, funded to-date primarily by donors, are prohibited under current law to be covered under SHI. SFHA will help develop an enhanced legal framework and innovative schemes for domestic resource mobilization, generating evidence and advocacy for coverage of HIV prevention and related services under SHI. S/he will also lead in monitoring ARV procurement funds flows and SHI reimbursements for HIV services– challenges persist in merging datasets from different agencies, which if combined, would facilitate effective monitoring. SFHA will work closely with relevant agencies to develop an effective monitoring system able to identify potential problems and prevent abuse.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- The Component 3 and 4 lead will report to the Chief of Party and be responsible for designing and implementing the work plans for these components of SFHA’s work
- Work closely with GVN counterparts to provide needed technical support
- Coordinate the components’ work with USAID and other USAID implementing partners
- Contribute to required project deliverables
- Represent the project at meetings with USAID, GVN, and other stakeholders
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- A master’s degree in public health and at least 8 years of relevant work experience, particularly in HIV and health policy
- Proven experience of working with Government of Vietnam and Ministry of Health strongly desirable
- Knowledge of Social Health Insurance (SHI) issues and key stakeholders in Vietnam, including experience with MOH and VSS highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government counterparts and coordinate various actors such as different Ministry of Health units, Vietnam Social Security other ministries and government agencies, donors and NGOs
- Proven professional knowledge of MS Office applications and appropriate organizational skills
- Mother tongue Vietnamese, with good oral and written communication skills in English
Note: This position is based in Hanoi, Vietnam. Local candidates only need apply.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.