Abt Associates Analytics Application Specialist - Rockville, MD, or Cambridge, MA in United States
Ranked by Washington Technology as a top 100 leader in IT services, Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. If you want to apply your technical expertise to programs that help control infectious diseases, address housing and homelessness issues, and inform policies that create economic opportunities in the U.S. and abroad, we invite you to join our team. Our IT team of over 60 professionals collaborates across 45 offices. As a member of our team, you will be on the front line supporting users around the world. Clients have come to rely on Abt to provide innovative solutions with energy, creativity and top notch customer service. Our company culture of continuous learning supports opportunities for long-term career growth and a balanced work/life experience.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Analytics Application Specialist to support the Information Technology department in our Rockville, MD, or Cambridge, MA, office.
This position will serve as IT’s internal expert and the liaison to the analytic user community on the range of analytic computing packages and visualization tools currently supported by IT. These tools include SAS, Stata, R Studio, ESRI ArcGIS, SPSS, Python, and Nvivo, as well as visualization tools including Tableau and QlikSense and supporting tools such as BitBucket. This position will also help gather requirements for changes to the analytic suite, analyze new tools and upgrades, employ each tool to conduct testing upon new releases or configuration changes, develop scripts within each application to benchmark and regularly review performance, in addition to providing Tier 2 technical support to end users, documenting best practices for the use of these tools, and interfacing with affinity groups.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Gather requirements from the user community for changes to the analytic offerings, and specific product, version, and configuration needs
- Analyze new product releases from solution vendors to determine whether new modules, releases and specific external packages work and are good candidates for system-level implementation
- Develop scripts and conduct direct QA on new product releases after deployment and on existing versions of tools after environment configuration changes to ensure the products are working as expected
- Develop scripts and tools to benchmark and track performance of each tool, to ensure the stability of performance over time and across environments to determine optimal configuration conditions
- Provide Tier 2 Technical Support to end user community. Work with software vendors to resolve issues as needed
- Document best practices and interface with affinity groups around each analytic package
- Work as part of a large team on various projects related to expanding and improving Abt’s analytic offerings
- As appropriate, identify and implement analytic strategies to evaluate, report and improve practices of the analytic team and IT organizations
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Expert knowledge in SAS, Stata, and RStudio, as well as proficiency in most of the following additional packages: ESRI ArcGIS, SPSS, Python, Nvivo, Tableau, QlikSense and BitBucket. The position will have to be able to learn any tool that they do not already know and be able to work in all of them in order to support users of these systems
- Knowledge and experience in QA/Testing practices
- Knowledge and experience in requirements gathering from end users
- Experience in end user support and developing best practice documentation
- 5-7 years of experience and BA/BS degree (MS preferred) or the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled