Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Monitoring & Evaluation Manager - VectorLink Uganda in Uganda
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Vector Control (VC) Task Order (TO) 1 Project supports the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), as well as USAID Missions and Bureaus with malaria programs outside the PMI focus countries, in planning and implementing IRS programs with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria in Africa by enhancing USAID’s ability to implement IRS programs on the ground through cost-effective commodities procurement and logistics systems, access to technical expertise, and implementation of IRS in countries affected by malaria.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Technical Specialist 10 / Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager focuses on surveillance and information management, monitoring programmatic IRS delivery, and evaluating associated epidemiological, entomological, and environmental impact in targeted communities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the needs assessments and baseline surveys/data collection process prior to IRS campaigns.
- Lead establishment of routine M&E systems to support tracking of IRS program activities, progress, and performance.
- Improve programmatic monitoring efforts through managing the data collection of routine spray activities from district-based spray teams and reporting the data for internal and client use.
- Design, review and test M&E tools for reporting formats and data collection.
- Ensure appropriate skills are developed and maintained with the national and district IRS staff through focused trainings for continued maintenance of the established M&E tracking systems. This includes training temporary field IRS staff on appropriate methods of data collection, entry, reporting, and quality.
Track and report data on all project indicators to the Abt Home Office, local clients and PMI/Washington. This includes regular updating of the project’s official Monitoring and Evaluation Plan.
Prepare monitoring and evaluation plans, including defining program indicators and sources of data, as well as annual reports and other project documents.
Conduct periodic internal Data Quality Assessments and prepare the project for possible external Data Quality Audits to ensure validity, integrity, precision, reliability and timeliness of all performance data, identifying gaps and suggesting corrective actions on time.
- The position requires frequent travel to IRS implementing districts and field sites for routine monitoring, program supervision, and support and frequent communication with site and home office staff to report on IRS campaign progress.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Masters Degree in a relevant health sector field, such as Environmental Health, Public Health, Community Health, Health Information Systems, or Health Economics.
- At least six (6) years of relevant professional experience in program monitoring and evaluation and in research, with previous IRS or other malaria program experience desirable.
- Experience in MS Access, GIS applications;, GPS measurement data collection, the DHIS2 platform, and/or Tableau desirable.
- Experience and familiarity with PMI program monitoring and evaluation, and performance monitoring.
- Strong analytic and quantitative database management skills, budgeting and report writing.
- English language fluency.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled