Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Senior Program Officer, Monitoring, Evaluation and Knowledge Management in Tanzania
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a professional with strong monitoring and evaluation skills to serve as Senior Program Officer, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and Communications for the Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS Plus). SHOPS Plus is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. The primary goal of the project is to improve health outcomes and contribute to the achievement of major global efforts, especially Ending Preventable Child and Maternal Deaths, AIDS-free Generation, and FP2020. The private sector is integral to the health system and an important provider of priority health care services. To improve health outcomes and meet these global commitments, SHOPS Plus will strategically engage the private sector. SHOPS Plus Tanzania will increase the use of priority health services for family planning (FP), HIV, and malaria by strengthening the capacity of the private sector to provide quality health products and services, improving the enabling environment for private sector provision of health products and services, and improving ownership of total market approaches within Tanzanian institutions.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Monitoring and Evaluation
- With support from home office technical advisors, develop, adapt, and revise the monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) plan and learning agenda
- Provide support in in the development of annual work plans; facilitate discussions for developing or updating project theories of change (TOC) and results framework (RF)
- Work with home office technical advisors to enhance MEL systems to generate evidence that can demonstrate impact and also be used for accountability, organizational learning and decision making
- Work with Senior Program Officers to collect data needed to report on all defined indicators (impact, output, outcome and program management indicators)
- Lead the periodic internal data quality assurance (DQA) process and guide the team to improve data quality per USAID standards
- Coordinate the collection and documentation (uploading in Newdea) of evidence (Means of Verification) for all indicators and verify the quality of the evidence and analyze data available in Newdea
- Foster data use for program-level learning and tested approaches for sharing and future programming
Communications and Reporting
- Work with Senior Program Officers to compile detailed program reports, including contribution to quarterly progress reports, semi-annual reports, and annual reports and other reports as needed.
- Work with Senior Program Officers to develops communications products such as newsletter articles, web updates, stories and features for SHOPS Plus website and other external sources for SHOPS Plus, Abt web site and other venues
- Monitor project activities to identify and capture achievements and knowledge (lessons learned, best practices, and success stories, etc.)
- Work with Senior Program Officers to identify external communications opportunities and key events and effectively collaborate with all stakeholders to define/execute appropriate strategies to support them.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree in Public Health, evaluation or a related field
- At least 8 years of professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for project learning and results reporting.
- Experience conducting monitoring, evaluation and research tasks for health-related activities
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and ability to write for a variety of audiences.
- Direct experience supporting M&E and communications for USAID or other donor-funded health projects preferred.
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled