Abt Associates Project Assistant / Pharmaceutical Systems Program Coordinator - SHOPS Plus Tanzania in Tanzania
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector (SHOPS Plus) is USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health, which began in September 2015. The primary goal of the project is to improve health outcomes and contribute to the achievement of major global efforts, especially Ending Preventable Child and Maternal Deaths, AIDS-free Generation, and FP2020. The private sector is integral to the health system and an important provider of priority health care services. To improve health outcomes and meet these global commitments, SHOPS Plus will strategically engage the private sector.
SHOPS Plus in Tanzania will increase the use of priority health services for FP, HIV, and malaria by strengthening the capacity of the private sector to provide quality health products and services, improving the enabling environment for private sector provision of health products and services, and improving ownership of total market approaches within Tanzanian institutions.
The Pharmaceutical Systems Program Coordinator will work under the supervision of a Senior Program Officer to support implementation of field activities under the SHOPS Plus project in Tanzania.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the Sr. Program Officer in the implementation of technical assistance activities regarding pharmaceutical systems and supply chain, including monitoring progress of field work, production of work plans, and development of progress reports.
- Track policies and procedures related to ADDOs and pharmacies.Maintain folders with original documents for reference.
- Foster and maintain good working relationship with field level stakeholders and partners.
- Coordinate and monitor ADDO field initiatives, including data collection for demonstration activities and surveys, quality assurance, managing ADDO dispenser reporting and liaising with ADDO association secretariat.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation system by tracking indicators relevant to ADDOs and pharmacies, inputting data into the project database, and analyzing data.
- Contribute written sections to project reports including quarterly reports, work plans, and technical reports.
- Prepare success stories and lessons learned briefs for activities related to ADDOs and pharmacies.
- Work with the program coordinator to ensure that all relevant project files are maintained in the master shared file for the project.
- Participate in and deliver updates at bi-weekly activity update meetings with program officers and quarterly program update meetings for all project staff.
- Work with the program officer to ensure that all activity highlights are visible through reports and communication pieces.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years’ experience in pharmaceutical practice. Master’s degree in a relevant field in an added advantage.
- Significant experience and understanding of regulatory policies and commercial pharmaceutical systems in Tanzania.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to foster and maintain relationships with stakeholders and partners
- Excellent writing skills with experience writing project reports, activity reports and stories.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects/programs and knowledge of USAID financial and contractual requirements, protocols and US government regulations.
- Experience problem-solving and working as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Swahili
- ( 4+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled