Abt Associates Administration Manager / Operations Manager - VectorLink Tanzania in Tanzania
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Technical Specialist 10 / Operations Manager provides organizational and logistical management for the project’s Vector Control TO1 operations in country.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Manages the overall planning and implementation of all project spray operations, including:
Developing annual operations activity schedules,
- Conducting geographic reconnaissance,
- Identifying, and overseeing the preparation and renovation of, spray operation sites/bases,
- Organizing annual planning meetings with NMCP, other local stakeholders, and spray districts,
- Determining spray operation labor requirements, and overseeing the recruitment of seasonal spray personnel,
- Quantifying requirements for insecticides, sprayers, PPE, and all other equipment and supplies,
- Confirming specifications for PPE, and all other equipment and supplies procured locally,
- Organizing micro-planning meetings.
Overall responsible for supervising and monitoring spray activities
Ensuring that correct spray techniques are applied
- Ensuring quality and accuracy of primary data
- Ensuring data forms are promptly and safely delivered to data centers
- Ensuring that supervision and monitoring tools are used as required
Oversees the management of warehouses and stores.
Ensuring adherence to USAID/PMI BMP for IRS
- Ensuring that there are adequate stock levels of commodities, equipment and supplies, at all operation sites.
- Ensuring that all store records are up-to-date throughout the spray campaign
- Coordinates training-of-trainer (TOT) courses, and the trainings of the different categories of spray personnel.
- Oversees information, education, and communication (IEC) activities and community mobilization.
- Recommends spray personnel performance targets, and tracks progress against spray campaign targets and timelines.
- Achieves operations-related Monitoring & Evaluation and Quality Control indicators of the project.
- Develops the operations component of the country capacity-building plan to transfer skills to local institutions.
- Directly supervises the project’s District Coordinators, and Logistics Coordinator.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Masters Degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, or other relevant field.
- At least eight (8) years of professional experience managing operations in an international development environment, with significant experience in vector control programs.
- Significant management and supervisory experience.
- Prior experience at USAID-funded programs, and basic knowledge of Federal and AID Acquisition Regulations (FARs and AIDARs), are highly desirable.
- Excellent writing, computer, and organizational skills.
- English language fluency.
- (8+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled