Abt Associates Project Assistant / Field Entomology Technician - VectorLink Cambodia in Cambodia
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Abt Associates seeks a Project Assistant / Field Entomology Technician to assist the International Development Division's Vector Control Project in Cambodia. Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Field Entomology Technician will be responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work in collaboration with National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria (CNM). This position may require frequent visits to the field and sentinel sites for mosquito collection.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Support implementation of the following set of entomological field activities on monthly basis:
night-time mosquito collections in villages and forest using various trapping techniques (CDC-light trap, double net traps, cattle baited traps)
- supervising local field assistants during mosquito monitoring activities
- insecticide susceptibility testing according to WHO protocols
- morphological identification of Anopheles mosquitoes using identification keys
- storing mosquito samples for later molecular analysis
- pinning mosquito samples to prepare a specimen library
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures for these activities
- Accurately recording results on paper forms and conducting electronic data entry into excel
- Preparation of data summaries for reports
- Participate in other field activities as required
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology (minimum); Master degree in biodiversity or entomology (desirable) pro similar field of study. Experience in entomology is an advantage
- Knowledge in computer skills (able to run programs such as Microsoft word, Excel)
- Knowledge of English, oral and written, is a must
- ( 2+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled