Abt Associates Project Assistant / IEC / BCC Coordinator - VectorLink, Kenya in Kenya
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Information, Education and Communications (IEC) / Behavior Change Communications (BCC) Coordinator is responsible for the coordination and implementation of community mobilization in line with PMI AIRS objectives and the Ministry of Health at county level. S/he will facilitate all community mobilization, branding/marking and communication activities working closely with the local authorities and leadership to position IRS pre and post spraying activities.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure strengthened partnerships and collaboration between county partners, including civil societies and community leaders.
- Supports the implementation of the community outreach programs and communication interventions (identifying the most impact channels and mobilization efforts) within the targeted counties and communities.
Develops and writes regular documentation of activities including lessons learned and success stories.
In collaboration with the Operations Manager, lead in development of and implementation of IEC strategies for IRS campaigns.
- Develop and review IEC/BCC key messages/materials in collaboration with VectorLink Kenya team and government stakeholders.
- Conducting community mobilization, awareness and sensitization on IRS in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
Evaluate and document impact of IEC/BCC activities in collaboration with other stakeholders.
Develop community mobilization calendar in line with the spray calendar.
- Coordinate mobilization training.
- Supports the planning and implementation of information and education campaigns aimed at improving community awareness about IRS in the counties in collaboration with county based government partners.
- Assist in mobilizing communities through sensitization meetings with the local leaders and communities to educate them on IRS as one of the key Malaria prevention intervention.
- Assist in the recruitment, training, monitoring and supervision of mobilization teams on IEC strategies to reach people at community level.
- Assist and participate in the sensitization of various stakeholders at county, division and community levels to support IRS activities in collaboration with county health officials, civil societies and community leaders.
Maintain proper records on county community mobilization and IEC activities throughout the year for reporting purposes.
Prepares and submit weekly and monthly reports on community mobilization efforts before and throughout the spray campaign, and compilation of other project reporting, including success stories semiannual reports, and others with the Operations Manager and the COP.
Involvement and participation in WMD and IRS planned events in the counties.
Records best practices for informing local communities about upcoming spraying operations; encouraging community participation; educating communities on the benefits of indoor residual spraying as well as providing information on timing, safety, follow up, etc.
- Develops Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials as necessary i.e.: brochures, posters, banners, as well as radio and TV information programs.
- Liaises with other government and non-government communications organizations and provides program information for media dissemination.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelors Degree in Communications, Public Health/Environmental Health, Community Health, Environmental Studies, or other relevant field.
- Minimum four (4) years of relevant professional experience in communications, community outreach, or public education, with previous IRS or other malaria program experience highly desirable.
- Proven experience managing IEC and community outreach /mobilization activities for international health programs is essential, experience with malaria prevention programs preferred.
- Demonstrated organizational, reporting and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, including national and county government counterparts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential.
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Applications.
- Prior experience working with USAID a plus.
- Ability and to travel throughout the target counties frequently.
- Fluency in English.
- ( 4+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled