Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Knowledge Communications Advisor - Integrated Health DRC in Congo, Democratic Republic of the (Congo ? Kinshasa)
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Integrated Health Programs for the DRC (IHP-DRC) supports USAID’s strategy on Health Systems Strengthening in the DRC. USAID seeks to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of the Congolese population.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Knowledge Communications Advisor to support the International Development Division's Integrated Health Project in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Under the supervision of the Chief of Party, the Knowledge Communications Advisor will lead the development and strategic operation of information management and exchange for the project.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop and institutionalize protocols for internal communication through a variety of forums (such as weekly operational meetings, monthly progress reports, quarterly reviews, and annual work planning) to harvest and document the tacit and explicit knowledge generated by the project’s technical activities and staff, and establish a coordinated flow of information among project staff and partners, including USAID, the Government of the DRC (GODRC), and Abt headquarters
- Develop and lead implementation of an integrated project communication strategy that promotes messages about the project’s activities, achievements, and impact to key audiences through diverse media
- Work with project staff to identify and document project activities, achievements, successes, best practices, and lessons learned, utilizing different communication channels to publicize the project and USAID’s investment
- Lead documentation and communication activities in both written and oral presentations, including work plans, quarterly and annual program reviews, assuring results-oriented, reader-friendly reports
- Oversee production and dissemination of a range of promotional materials for the project (including brochures, success stories/beneficiary testimonials, and technical reports) and leverage print and television media outlets, when appropriate
- Do substantive proof reading and editing of technical and administrative reports, proposals, instructional tools, and other project documents, taking into consideration the audience, market, industry, and client
- Develop a publications list for technical reports, guidelines, manuals, tools, and materials developed under the project
- Lead the development of a project website, creating processes for obtaining up-to-date information from technical staff, and manage the website to ensure that information, data, and links are accurate and updated on a regular basis
- Draft press releases for project events and/or stories of general public interest
- Manage public relations events for the project. This includes: ensuring media coverage for project events and establishing a communication network with local media
- Ensure adherence of all documentation to USAID regulations as outlined in the project’s approved Branding and Marking Plan
- Encourage and implement internal knowledge management processes, by providing quality control and maintaining databases of project documents, project contacts and information on project partner meetings
- Liaise with Abt Corporate Communications department and other Abt communications staff
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Masters Degree in Communications, Journalism, or other relevant field
- At least eight (8) years of relevant professional work experience in communications, knowledge management, journalism, for project management, with at least two (2) years experience in international development projects (preferably in the health sector)
- Experience with USAID-funded projects is highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to identify and document project activities and achievements, and identify and document best practices and success stories
- Demonstrated ability to communicate information to stakeholders at all levels using a variety of communications approaches
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams to produce written products and media, adhering to deadlines, and short turn around times
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, organizational and mentoring skills
- The following skills are highly desirable assets: background or experience in journalism; photography; desktop publishing; and/or familiarity with public health programs in the DRC
- Fluency in French and excellent verbal communication and writing skills in English
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled