Abt Associates Technical Specialist / Human Resources Manager - Integrated Health DRC in Congo, Democratic Republic of the (Congo ? Kinshasa)
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Integrated Health Programs for the DRC (IHP-DRC) supports USAID’s strategy on Health Systems Strengthening in the DRC. USAID seeks to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of the Congolese population.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Human Resources Manager to support the International Development Division's Integrated Health Project in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Administration, the Human Resources (HR) Manager provides Human Resources service and support to the IHP-DRC Project including identifying highly qualified candidates, recruiting, employee relations, payroll and benefits verification, training/development, employee onboarding and off boarding, dealing with legal matters, and related tasks.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Execute all HR functions as a vital team member of the IHP-DRC project in compliance with Congolese labor laws, USAID, and Abt Associates rules and regulations
- Respond in a timely and professional manner to questions and service requests from employees, providing excellent customer service and communication with context
- Support the implementation of Abt Associates ethics and compliance guidelines
- Train and update IHP-DRC site office staff on project-related HR policies, procedures and regulations
- Develop job descriptions and take ownership of staff recruitment activities, work closely with the COP and Director of Finance and Administration and HR Department in the U.S.
- Check new candidates’ professional references, validate salaries reported on employee applications and bio-data forms, and send to headquarters only highly qualified and experienced candidates for final review, employment processing, and onboarding procedures
- Process and review employment applications according to Abt Associates HR procedures
- Prepare site staff employee contracts and seasonal worker agreements in compliance with Abt Associates and local labor laws
- Create and maintain complete employee personnel files
- Monitor and document the accrual and use of employee annual, holiday, maternity and sick leave
- Draft consultant agreements, ensuring all backup information is according to Abt standards
- Manage the annual employee performance review procedures
- Train administrative staff to provide HR support when required
- Monitor and evaluate project’s human resources systems
- Cooperate with other members of the Finance and Administration Team to ensure that all actions and decisions are aligned with project vision and goals
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business, Management, or other related field
- At least four years of professional experience in human resource management
- At least six years of relevant professional experience in communications, community outreach, or public education, with previous donor-funded program experience highly desirable
- Demonstrated organizational, reporting and management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, including international, national, and provincial counterparts
- Ability and to travel to the target regions
- Strong business acumen and judgment
- Fluency in French and excellent verbal communication and writing skills in English
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled