Abt Associates Project Leader / Deputy Chief of Party - Integrated Health DRC in Congo, Democratic Republic of the (Congo ? Kinshasa)
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an upcoming USAID-funded integrated health program in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The program intends to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of Congolese citizens. Specifically, the program will contribute to measurable improvements in key population-based national health indicators, including (1) maternal mortality ratio, (2) neonatal, infant, and under-five mortality rates, (3) Tuberculosis case notification rate, (4) malaria prevalence rate, (5) fertility rate, and (5) acute and chronic malnutrition rates.
The DCOP, under the supervision of the Chief of Party, assists in developing and implementing innovative approaches to strengthening the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services. The DCOP provides management and technical oversight for project staff. This position is contingent upon a successful contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide direct technical oversight and support to program activities under the project’s key technical areas
- Assist program teams to develop and implement innovative approaches to capacity building
- Support project staff to ensure a high quality transfer of skills and knowledge to Congolese institutions and communities
- Provide guidance and technical support to the Chief of Party on issues related to the technical areas/functions and to ensure that all activities are consistent with accepted best practices
- Contribute towards monthly activity updates, quarterly and annual progress reports and technical reports, as needed
- Work closely with other technical leads to ensure a cohesive and integrated approach across all project activities
- Participate in technical networks, meetings and select technical working groups, as appropriate, to represent the project and ensure collaboration of relevant technical work
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Medicine or Doctorate Degree (preferred) in Public Health or other clinical care degree
- At least 13-15 years of relevant experience
- Experience working in the Democratic Republic of Congo and/or other African countries in similar health systems and issues
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior technical position for a public health and/or international development project, with experience at a USAID-funded project highly desirable
- Effective written and oral communication, presentation, and representational skills
- Excellent computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, database management, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated leadership, creative problem-solving, and management skills
- Proven capacity in working with a diverse group of partners
- The ability to travel extensively to program locations within the Democratic Republic of Congo as well as to other countries as required
- Fluency in French; knowledge of English preferred but not required
- (15+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience; this experience would include 1-5 years of management experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled