Abt Associates IT Manager / Network and Computer Specialist - Integrated Health DRC in Congo, Democratic Republic of the (Congo ? Kinshasa)
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Integrated Health Programs for the DRC (IHP-DRC) supports USAID’s strategy on Health Systems Strengthening in the DRC. USAID seeks to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of the Congolese population.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Network and Computer Specialist to support the International Development Division's Integrated Health Project in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The Network and Computer Specialist the IT Specialist establishes, manages and maintains the project’s computer network at all operational locations.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure the smooth operation of the Internet connection and regularly check the flow provided by the ISP to enable staff to work in optimal conditions
- Monitor relevant logs and perform necessary operations to ensure the proper state of the systems
- Preventive maintenance includes ensuring each computer and user has valid certs
- installed for AGI access
- Create (and update as required) Disaster Recovery Plan for the office (template to be supplied by ITSC)
- Create (and update monthly) Workstation Inventory List, i.e., assist the office in the physical inventory of all equipment and software (PC’s, laptops, printers, etc.)
- Provide technical support for major and/or urgent problems with LAN or any of its components (server crash, virus attack, hard drive failure, etc.)
- Provide on-call assistance to staff in the Kinshasa offices and the regional offices as needed
- Supervise File Server backups (weekly full backup, daily incremental on file server, and monthly backups of file server and users data)
- Supervise that File Server Group Policies and NTFS permissions are applying correctly to project users and groups
- LAN Administration: Assign user accounts and verify privileges/rights (for network and Abt services); manage disk space, printer queues, and internet connection
- Perform desktop and laptop computer support, including performing routine preventive maintenance (disk scan, deleting temp files, defragmentation, etc.); installing software patches and upgrades, troubleshooting hardware or software problems; and ensuring users are backing up their data files on the server
- Provide basic training of Windows Office products
- Monthly conference call with Abt Associates International IT Management (All IT Managers’ Meeting)
- Review monthly activity, articulate and implement Action Plans relating to identified IT needs
- Perform hardware troubleshooting, including identifying hardware failure for all hardware warranties; coordinating with hardware vendors/manufacturers for the prompt replacement of any defective components and working with the Project internet service to solve any problems accessing the internet and/or sending and receiving email
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Programming, or other IT-related field
- At least six (6) years of relevant professional experience in IT network administration in a Windows NT environment, including internet access support
- Ability to manage and provide technical oversight to junior programmers and consultants
- A comprehensive ability to work in collaboration with high level managers and technical advisors
- A demonstrated ability to work independently
- Fluency in French and excellent verbal communication and writing skills in English
- 6+ years of experience and master degree (computer science, programming or related areas preferred) or the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled