Abt Associates Finance Assistant / Accountant / Bookkeeper - Integrated Health DRC in Congo, Democratic Republic of the (Congo ? Kinshasa)
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Integrated Health Programs for the DRC (IHP-DRC) supports USAID’s strategy on Health Systems Strengthening in the DRC. USAID seeks to strengthen the capacity of Congolese institutions and communities to deliver quality, integrated health services to sustainably improve the health status of the Congolese population.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Accountant / Bookkeeper to support the International Development Division's Integrated Health Project in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Under the supervision of the Senior Accountant, the Accountant / Bookkeeper records project financial transactions, posts to appropriate projects and tasks, prepares periodic financial statements and reports, and keeps the records of the accounts books up to date.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Records expenditures, income, and any other related transactions, inthe accounting software
- Prepares payment vouchers and corresponding checks
- Prepares payroll and other regular payments with due consideration to deductions (for advances, loans, taxes, etc.)
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations
- Checks petty cash payments and periodically reconciles petty cash balances
- Ensures that the accounting records are up to date at all times, orderly, well kept, and readily available for reference and audit, when required
- Reviews travel advance, travel expense reports, keep track of travel aging report and follow up with staff on pending advances
- Works with Senior Accountant to prepares monthly cash requests, and promptly advises action required to cover estimated costs
- Works with with Senior Accountant to prepare the Monthly Remove Office Voucher (ROV) documentation, scan and upload documentation into ISMS
- Ensures that government taxes, pension funds and other local statutory requirement are paid on time
- Ensures that periodic inventory of the fixed assets (property) of the company is conducted
- Assists the Finance & Administration Director in the implementation of the internal control system and financial procedures manual of the company
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- High school diploma or equivalent - Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, Management, Business, or other relevant field preferred
- At least 3 years of professional experience in Accounting – experience in program financial Management desirable
- Experience in payroll management, petty cash management, financial reporting, and budget tracking
- Experience in inventory management is desirable
- A self-starter that is able to perform under pressure is preferred
- A strong command of financial and other computer applications such as MS Word, Excel, Quicken, Access, etc.
- Fluency in French and excellent verbal communication and writing skills in English
- (3+) years of experience and high school diploma OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled