Abt Associates Project Assistant / Capacity Building Specialist - Benin PSHPA in Benin
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The five-year, USAID-funded Benin Private Sector Health Partnership Activity (PSHPA) seeks to increase the use of high impact Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (RMNCH) services and products delivered by the private sector nationwide. Activities will focus on expanding the volume of quality, high-impact RMNCH services delivered by the private sector, increasing the availability of affordable and quality health products through private sector channels, strengthening public-private engagement to promote universal RMNCH outcomes, and identifying, piloting and applying innovative, successful, private sector models. The Capacity Building Specialist will work with a local private sector association to ensure that the private sector is truly represented in national level-health dialogue and bolster the association’s capacity to lead quality improvement in the private sector.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support initial capacity assessment to determine financial, programmatic and organizational needs for local association
- Determine capacity building needs of the Ministry of Health
- Develop plan and timeline for addressing organizational and institutional weaknesses, which includes technical assistance (TA), training and other technical support
- Identify technical expertise required, provide technical support to implement capacity building plan of local association and MOH
- Facilitate implementation of agreed training/coaching schedule.
- Continuously monitor and track plan and timeline and make adjustments as needed
- Ensure regular coordination and communication with project and stakeholders; facilitate implementation of training schedule/plan
- Coordinate meetings with other stakeholders (including MOH) to ensure ongoing collaboration and dialogue
- Assist in the reporting of activities and provide input to M&E and other deliverables
- In coordination with the F&A team, assure the logistical arrangements for different activities including tasks such as arranging meetings, reserving venues and coordinating workshops.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Sciences, Development, Business Administration, Communications or related field
- A minimum of four years of experience in training and capacity building in RMNCH and/or other health areas
- Experience in capacity building of local stakeholders in Benin
- Strong organizational skills including timely follow-up
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively with counterparts and various actors such as senior government officials
- Familiarity with USAID and experience working on USAID-funded projects is a plus
- Fluency in French (oral and written); intermediate proficiency in English (oral and written).
- ( 4+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled